mardi 25 septembre 2007

September 17th : Happy Birthday to me

September 17th : Happy Birthday to me

Thank you
So many people wrote to me to wish me happy birthday. Thanks so much! It felt great to hear from you guys. I only got the messages when I got back to Maroua (later on in the week), but it still felt nice to see that people hadn’t forgotten me at home. I wish I could have been with you on my birthday, but instead I was alone in my hut. I won’t lie; it was somewhat depressing when, at 6:30, there was no light and nothing to do. Not because it was my birthday, but just because.

Homologue
Met my partner in crime. His name is Matseme. I’m not sure about the spelling. He is pretty gangster. He is a “go against the grain” type of guy. He is a bit of an agitator. I figure this could both help and hinder the education project we are undertaking together. We’ll see. He is from Soulédé originally. His father is a religious leader (a “lawane”), and has six wives. This means my partner has over 30 brothers and sisters. Crazy. He is well known in the village, which has helped make some good connections. I look forward to working with him. I think I am in good hands, but who knows for sure at this point.

Football-Soccer
I played soccer for the first time here. I brought a ball, so it was not complicated to set up a game. Many kids showed up to watch, but only about 10 people ended up playing. It was fun, and I think I held my own. However, I am really out of shape! If I can play a couple of times a week, I think I will be fine.

First meeting

My inspector (head of school board) is on the ball. Very organized. Accordingly, we already have had our initial meeting with all the directors of the Soulédé-Roua region. Over thirty of them showed up. We did some very interesting activities. First, we reviewed enrolment rates for all the schools in the region. If they were lower than last years, people were in trouble. The inspector was not afraid to tell them. He said something along the line of “those who do not want to do the work will see us do the work without them”. This meant that they would be fired. Open threats flew throughout the meeting. Sometimes, the directors would finish the sentences of the inspector, as if they had heard his instructions a thousand times before. I was impressed about how strong his leadership style was. I’m sure it was effective in some ways. However, ruling this way did not help him be a good listener. He turned a deaf hear to those who offered reasons why their enrolment rates had dipped. At one point he said to someone, “I see you have your hand up, but clearly I am not done talking.” That gives you a small idea of what the inspector is like when it comes to work. I am happy to be on his good side though. He has been very good to both Christine and I…

8 commentaires:

Maxime a dit…

Candles candles candles!
Get a flashlight at the market in Maroua!
Build a fire! (haha okay maybe not that one)

Anonyme a dit…

Well, since you enabled anonymous posting, I should post. Sucks that you had to spend your birthday in a dark room. I suspect with your new counterpart and getting settled in the village, you'll have lots of opportunities to take part in local activities. Try to stay on the director's good side :).

Sara

Anonyme a dit…

Bonjour JP
Je te souhaite un joyeux anniversaire. Mon grand chum, je te manque beaucoup. Je me demande ce que tu manges en Afrique. Passe une belle journée. On va se revoir dans quelques mois. Amuse-toi bien.
Ton meilleur ami
Joël

Anonyme a dit…

Hey Jean-Philippe!
Comment vas-tu ? Et comment va ton voyage? La classe a lu ton journal à chaque jour. Tu vis beaucoup d’aventures. Bonne fête Jean-Philippe. Passe une belle journée avec tes ami(e)s.
Karine B

Anonyme a dit…

Hey Jean-Philippe!
I wish I was there with you. It sounds like fun, except when they call you Nasara. I would like to see you again. Have fun and happy birthday! Bye bye!
Ryan

Anonyme a dit…

Bonjour JP
Je te souhaite bonne fête en retard. J’aime lire tes lettres. Elles sont très intéressantes. J’apprends beaucoup sur l’Afrique et comment les gens vivent. Merci et envoie nous d’autres lettres.
Ton amie Amanda

Anonyme a dit…

Bonjour JP
Je te souhaite une bonne fête. J’aime entendre les histoires de l’Afrique. J’espère que tu vas bien en Afrique et tu t’amuses. J’espère que tu vas découvrir de nouvelles chose en Afrique. Bye bye. Passe une belle journée.
De : Kevin

Anonyme a dit…

Allô comment ça va ? J’ai une question pour toi. Voici la question. Qu’est-ce que veut dire CFA ? Passe un beau temps. Bonne fête ! Quel est le fruit que les poissons n’aiment pas. C’est une devinette ! De Martin Lalonde.